domingo, 18 de setembro de 2011

Day 1 - Arrive in Munich

So my first day in Munich.

As you might know, last week wasn't easy, got scammed for a flat, lost a bunch of money, and almost ended up with no place to stay in Munich. But thanks to Renate and her sister, I am coming to munich with the prospect of a roof above my head.

And like this I arrived at the Hauptbahnhof, aka the Main Station, at around 22:40, local hour. Now this was an hour and a half sooner than I had predicted, and I don't know what went wrong. This is relevant, because had I arrived at midnight, as I had planned, the famous Oktoberfest would be ending, and I wouldn't have to pull people from the party, people that were already nice enough to give me a couch to stay (half a couch really), without really knowing me. So i struggled for a bit with the idea of calling, but as it was raining, I decided to give it a go, they might've come home earlier.

So I dialled the number I had gotten from Renate, and I hear a nice lady saying in German a bunch of words I couldn't really get, but then the English translation followed :" I'm sorry, but the number you dialled is not attributed".

And I just stared at the phone...It was really the only contact I had with Renate's family, if you don't count Renate herself. And once again she came to my rescue, answering to my text, and giving me another number to try, this time her sister's number.
Crossed my fingers, dialled, and someone picked up! Houston, we have contact! And after a brief conversation I find out that she's home, and that I can come. So without further ado, I went to catch the U-bahn.

After a rather eventless trip (thankfully!), I arrived at the right address, and there I met Doris, Renate's sister, who welcomed me into her house, showed me my half a couch (for those of you wondering, its like half a couples bed), and made me feel at home. It was really nice to feel welcome. Had a bath, gone to bed. I felt happy. Later on Thomas, Doris boyfriend arrived from the after party, and a little while after, arrived Doug, the guy who was going to stay on the other half couch. They were both drunk, and quiet, so I can't say I really met them that night.

And so I fell asleep, hearing the rain pouring outside, happy that I wasn't sleeping on the street

1 comentário:

  1. First to comment!!
    I'm so happy and relieved that you're ok and that not everything is going wrong!!
    We miss you already!! Keep posting!

    xoxo -C

    ResponderEliminar